Department of Health
QAST works closely with the Department of Health to:
- promote and support statewide nutrition and other health initiatives in schools, including the Smart Choices healthy food and drink supply strategy
- promote safe food handling practices in school food services
- assist health promotion officers and community nutritionists working in the community
To support the implementation of Smart Choices, the Department of Health provides funding for QAST to boost services to school tuckshops, todeliver the Tuckshop Network Meetings across regional Queensland and to provide the Smart Choices Nutrition Advisory Service for the food industry. QAST has a great working relationship with the Statewide Preventive Health Unit.
Image: Dr Jeannette Young (Qld Chief Health Officer); Chris Ogden (QAST Executive Services Manager); Barbara Radcliffe (QAST Executive Committee Member/Advanced Community Nutritionist, Metro South Health)
Department of Education and Training
QAST has a history of working in partnership with the Department including:
- assisting individual Queensland state schools implement projects that promote a healthy lifestyle and embody the Health Promoting Schools approach
- coordinating events such as Queensland Tuckshop Day and developing networks
- developing plans and consulting on issues relating to the future direction of health and physical activity programs in Queensland’s schools
- assisting schools to implement the Smart Choices healthy food and drink supply strategy
- sponsorship of major events such as the Queensland Tuckshop of the Year Awards
QAST is currently supported by the Department by way of provision of premises for the Association to operate from.
Funding and sponsors
QAST receives a large portion of its funding from membership fees, in addition to assistance from the Queensland Government’s Department of Health and Department of Education and Training. QAST also has a successful history of winning grants to carry out other special projects and welcomes interest from corporate sponsors and advertisers.