Deadly Cheesy Vegetable Pikelets
- Chrissy Buzzard
1small zucchini, coarsely grated
1/2 tspolive oil
1small carrot, grated
1/2 cupfresh or frozen corn kernels
1 & 1/4 cupsbuttermilk or plain, reduced fat milk
1egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cupreduced-fat grated tasty cheese
Cooking spray oil
- Using your hands, squeeze moisture from zucchini. Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, carrot and corn.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Set aside.
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add buttermilk or milk and egg. Whisk to combine. Add zucchini, carrot and corn mixture and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Spray pan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Using 1 heaped tablespoon per pikelet, cook 4 pikelets for 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn. Cook for 2 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm. Repeat to make 16 pikelets.
Description: These vegie pikelets were created in collaboration with Deadly Choices, a preventative health organisation that aims to empower Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to make healthy choices for themselves and their families. This high protein snack can contribute to your daily serves of vegetables. They are also a great morning or afternoon tea snack for kids of all ages. To learn more about Deadly Choices go to https://deadlychoices.com.au/
Add a tablespoon of bush tomato powder. (Available from The Australian Superfood Co) https://austsuperfoods.com.au/recipes/native-spiced-pumpkin-risotto/