East African Mandazi
Wooloowin State School, QAST
- Matt Hoole
2.25tbspActive Dry Yeast
1 1/3cupsGrated Coconut
280gramsButter or alternative spread
to dustPowdered sugar (option)al
- Add yeast and a pinch of sugar to lukewarm water and set aside for five minutes until foamy.
- Add eggs, coconut milk, salt and the remainder of the sugar to the yeast. Mix well.
- Add melted butter, cardamom, nutmeg, coconut and most of the flour, reserving a cup.
- Mix until a dough forms, then turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until fully incorporated. The dough should only be slightly sticky to the touch, sparing add flour if needed to reach this consistency. The dough should start to become smooth after 2-4 minutes.
- Place dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Turn once to coat, then cover and rest for 1 hour, or when the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 190 Celsius
- Roll the dough into a 1 inch thick tube. Cut into 1 inch rounds and lay onto baking sheets.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, until they start to turn brown. Let rest and optionally sprinkle with powdered sugar.