Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
Daisy Hill State School, QAST
- Mary Sneddon
1brown onion, diced
2garlic clove, crushed
1 1/2cupszucchini, finely chopped and grated
1 1/2cupscarrot, finely chopped and grated
5dried bay leaves
1tablespoonvegan worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoonbrown sugar
1cuplentils, canned, drained & rinsed
1/2cuptextured vegetable protein (TVP)
- Boil the kettle, add dry TVP to a medium sized bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside.
- Dice onion and fry in a small amount of oil in a large, non-stick pan until translucent, on medium to hot heat. Add minced garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add in the finely chopped and grated vegetables and beef stock. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, along with salt and pepper. Mix and reduce heat to a simmer for 15-20 minutes, mixing often.
- Once reduced, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Pick out the 5 bay leaves from the sauce, taste sauce and add in additional seasoning if required.
- Serve the bolognese sauce over the spaghetti and top with fresh herbs if desired.
A classic favourite with a vegan twist, bursting with flavour. Hearty warm meal that can be made in bulk to increase your tuckshop meal prep time.
Mix and match 3 of the following vegetables (seasonal) – carrot, celery, mushrooms, capsicum, pumpkin, zucchini, sweet potato.