Greek Chicken Bowl
Caravonica State School, QAST
- Mary Sneddon
1kgrice (white or brown)
300glettuce of your choice
1/2cuplow-fat Greek yoghurt
2x200gtubs of tzatziki
balsamic salad dressing
- Day before cooking:
- Dice chicken breast and marinate with juice of 2 lemons and zest of 1 lemon, garlic, dried oregano and 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yoghurt. Leave in air tight container in fridge overnight.
- Day of cooking:
- Place chicken on a lined oven tray and bake for around 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- While rice and chicken are cooking, finely shred lettuce, chop cherry tomatoes in half, and finely slice cucumber.
- Combine salad ingredients into a bowl and dress with balsamic dressing.
- To assemble add 1 cup of rice, 100g of cooked chicken and a tong-full of the salad. Dollop 1 tbsp of tzatziki in between chicken and salad.
A delicious nourishing bowl, packed full of fresh salad and lean protein, with a flavour explosion from the overnight marinade. This recipe from Caravonica State School was a finalist in the 2022 Recipe of the Year competition.
Served hot or cold. Chicken can be marinated in advance and frozen until day of cooking. For the more adventurous children or staff variation you could add some olives and or a sprinkle of feta cheese in the salad. Tzatziki can be swapped for hummus to make the dish dairy free. Packaging suggestion: Use a lined salad bowl or a clam shell. If making in bulk, don’t add the salad and tzatziki until serving so the rice and chicken can be kept in the warmer. This recipe was an entrant in the 2022 Recipe of the Year competition which is funded by the Queensland Government through Health and Wellbeing Queensland.