Baked Saffron Yogurt Rice with Chicken (Tahcheen)
1eachLemon or Lime
- Add the saffron to u00bc cup of boiled water and let it set for at least 20 min.
- Pre-soak the dried barberries in some water.
- Preheat the oven to 400^F and set a rack in the lowest position.
- Rinse and drain the rice.
- Boil the rice with 3 tbsp salt and 8 cups of water until you can smash each rice between your fingers.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to a pan and fry the chopped onions and garlics. Add 1 tsp salt and black pepper.
- Chop each chicken breasts into 8 pieces and add them to the pan until golden and cooked. Add the lemon water and stir the mixture.
- In a large bowl mix the boiled rice, saffron mixture, Greek yogurt and egg yolk.
- In a glass baking dish spread 3 tbsp butter, cover it with half of the yogurt-rice along the bottom of the dish, spread the chicken pieces evenly, and finally add the remaining yogurt-rice as the last layer.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminium foil and transfer it to the oven for 30 min or until the bottom layer get crispy and golden.
- Cut the baked saffron rice with a knife and run the knife along the sides of the baking dish to help release the rice.
Bake this tahcheen, a saffron rice with chicken, in a clear glass baking dish so you can check on the crisping of the rice\’s bottom layer.