Connect with us
Discuss your tuckshop with us
Butter Chicken filled Pita Pockets
Bundaberg State High School, QAST
- Ginael Panganiban
100gSalt reduced margarine
1large onion, diced
1tbspfresh ginger, grated
5clovesgarlic, crushed or pressed
1tspcayenne pepper (optional)
400tbspfresh lemon juice
1mlLight coconut cream
1KgChicken breast/ thigh fillets
3unitmedium sweet potato, diced small
4medium carrots, diced small
Mini pita pockets ( Mission brand)
- Heat margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent (approx. 3 mins).
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the garlic and spices. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 min.
- Add the salt, lemon juice and the coconut cream and mix well.
- Turn up the heat to medium and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Add the sweet potato and the carrots and let them soften a little.
- Add the chicken and coat well with the sauce. Cover the pan with lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 mins or until the chicken and veggies are cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Fill pita pockets and bake at 180C for approximately 15 mins or until golden.
Thanks to Sabina at Farnborough State School. Indian inspired butter chicken cooked with fresh spices, garlic and light coconut cream filled in pita pockets. A great way to use leftover butter chicken if already on your menu.
Vegetables can be changed to suit what is readily available and in season. E.g. use pumpkin instead of sweet potato etc. For efficiency, prepare a bulk spice mixture and then add tablespoons per recipe.