- Pauladmin tester
1KgLarge potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4cupReduced fat milk
1KgLean beef mince
4unitCarrots, peeled and diced
1/2cupBeef or vegetable stock
1unitCrushed tomatoes (canned)
1Tomato paste or sauce (2 tbsp paste or 1/2 cup sauce)
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180deg C.
- Place peeled and chopped potatoes in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5-10 minutes until soft. When ready drain and mash, adding milk, until smooth. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat and add lean mince, cooking until well browned.
- Add stock, canned tomatoes and paste. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until liquid is thickened, stirring in peas with about 2 minutes to go. Remove from heat.
- Spoon meat mixture into a large baking dish and spread mashed potato over the top. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden on top.
- As pictured, this recipe is also ideal for baking in individual portion trays.
Ideal homemade alternative, packed with vegetables.
Any leftover portions on the day of preparation to be cooled and placed in the freezer. The vegetable content can easily be boosted with any other vegetables you might have on hand. Using tomato sauce in place of paste will give a slightly sweeter taste. Fluff up the surface of the potato before baking with a fork to give a nice crunchy golden texture.