French Toast with Maple Apples
QAST, Worongary State School
For the Toast
3thick slices of bread
1cuplow fat milk
Maple Apples Batch (18 serves)
1kgfresh or frozen apples
1/2cuppure maple syrup
- Apple batch slow cook apples and maple syrup in a saucepan over medium/low heat and reduce until thick and sweet. Use straight from pan or can be cooled and stored in fridge. Reheat apples when required either in microwave or on stove top in time for use.
- Switch on sandwich press set to 200 degrees, spray a light coat of canola oil to prevent any sticking.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl. (Make batches so you have enough egg mix to do however many portions of toast you require)
- Pour egg mix in a flat baking dish with high sides, suitable to coat each side of your bread. Allow 20 seconds for each side until bread is evenly coated and has absorbed the egg mix.
- Place bread in sandwich press. Close lid and allow 2 minute cooking time.
- When toast is golden and egg mix is completely cooked remove, cut and serve with 2 teaspoons of the warm maple apple mix.
Scrumptious snack with fresh apple topping (to be made in bulk) and a hint of spice.
Variations on fruit topping to keep it seasonal and affordable – swap apple for pear, strawberries or blue berries.