500gPork, veal or beef mince
125gReduced fat cream cheese
1eachOnion, finely diced
0.5cupStuffed green olives, finely chopped
800gCrushed tomatoes (2 cans)
1eachCous cous, to serve
SelectSalt & pepper to taste
- Combine mince and all other meatball ingredients in a large bowl and shape into small meatballs (makes about 24)
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and cook meatballs until browned (about 5 minutes and may need to be done in batches)
- Add canned tomatoes, stock and sugar to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until liquid is thickened.
- Prepared cous cous by combining equal parts cous cous and hot chicken stock, stir with a fork and let rest for about 10 minutes (or follow packet instructions).
- Serve meatballs and sauce on a bed of cous cous.
Meditteranean Meatballs on a bed of cous cous
Italian Meatballs and spaghetti – In the meatball recipe, replace cream cheese and olives with about 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste and the same amount of parsley for an Italian style meatball. For the sauce, gently fry some onion and garlic before adding the tomatoes or use a bottled tomato pasta sauce. Serve on a bed of spaghetti and top with grated reduced fat cheese. The meatballs can be made in large batches and frozen beforehand. With a thick sauce, these recipes are also suitable for serving as a meatball sub on a crusty bread roll.