Sweet and Sour Chicken
Dalby South State School, QAST
- Chrissy Buzzard
600gskinless chicken breast, cubed
canola oil, for frying
1carrot, sliced into half moons
1/2cupapple cider vinegar
2garlic cloves, minced
- Whisk together white sugar, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, soy sauce and garlic in a small mixing bowl. If using tinned pineapple, add juice and set aside. (Tip: use gluten-free soy sauce to make this meal gluten-free.)
- Pour canola oil into fry pan to be about 1.5cm deep.
- Heat oil to a high heat so that chicken will only take 2-3 minutes to cook.
- Add corn flour to a zip lock bag or airtight container, add chicken and shake until well coated.
- Dip chicken into egg and then flour. (Tip: skip this step if offering gluten-free)
- Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through and crispy.
- Remove chicken from oil and place on a try (Tip: do not use paper towel as chicken will stick to it.)
- When all chicken is cooked remove all but a tablespoon of oil from the pan.
- Add capsicum, onion, carrot, celery and pineapple to the pan and cook until crisp but tender.
- Add sauce to pan and coat all the vegetables. Cook until warmed.
- Add chicken to the pan and stir through, cooking until the sauce has thickened and is bubbling.
- Serve with rice.
Our Recipe of the Year 2022 winner. An old time family favourite with electrifying vegetable colour.
- Can reduce the amount of capsicum by half.
- Freeze for up to 6 months.