Vegetarian Eggplant Stew
1tspSalt and Black pepper (each)
- Toss eggplant with 1tsp salt in a separate bowl; let set for 20 min. Rinse salt from eggplant in a colander, drain and cut each into 3 slices.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, cook until translucent.
- Add eggplant and cook until both sides golden.
- Add the tomato paste, cook for 3 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes (chop each tomato into 4 pieces).
- Add 1 cup boil water and lemon juice. Cover skillet with lid and lower heat to medium-low; cook until sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice in individual portions.
Salting the eggplant removes moisture and bitterness from the fruit, improving the taste and texture.