Asian Chicken Salad
- Chrissy Buzzard
2skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed (approximately 500g total)
1/4tspfreshly ground or cracked black pepper
2cloves garlic, peeled and halved
4coriander stalks, including stalk and leaves, roughly chop leaves
100grice stick noodles or vermicelli noodles
3cupscups finely shredded Chinese cabbage (approx. ½ large Chinese cabbage)
2carrots, peeled, cut into match-sized strips
4spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally (include green tops)
1/2cuploosely packed mint leaves, roughly torn
2tbspsweet chilli sauce
40gunsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Place both chicken breasts in a medium saucepan with enough water to just cover. Season with black pepper.
- Add garlic, coriander roots and stems. Reserve leaves.
- Place over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 2 minutes.
- Switch off heat, cover and leave chicken to rest in the liquid stock while preparing salad.
- Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes to soften. Drain well.
- Add cabbage, carrot, spring onions, bean sprouts, coriander leaves and mint to noodles. Stir well.
- Remove chicken and garlic from liquid stock and set aside to cool slightly.
- Make dressing by mashing cooked garlic in a cup and combining with lime juice, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce and water.
- Coarsely shred or thinly slice the chicken.
- Add chicken and dressing to the salad and combine.
- NOTE: This dish can be made in advance, but dressing and peanuts are best to be added to salad just before serving. Store in fridge until meal time.
This delicious Asian Chicken Salad is a light and easy salad option, packed full of variety and flavour.
- Replace the rice noodles with 100g fresh egg noodles (cook according to packet directions).
- Replace the rice noodles with ½ red capsicum cut into strips and 1 sliced cucumber.
- Replace the poached chicken with 2 skinless breasts of a cooked roast chicken.
- For increased spice, add a chopped red chilli to the salad mix or sprinkle with white pepper.
- Remove peanuts to eliminate allergy risk.