Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Chrissy Buzzard
1small onion, diced
3mediumfresh broccoli heads
Pepper for seasoning
60gfresh parmesan cheese
- Dice onion, grate carrot and cut up broccoli into bite sizes
- Place oil, onion, and carrots over medium heat for 3 minutes while onion softens into a large saucepan
- Add chicken stock, broccoli, seasoning and let simmer until broccoli is softened
- Using a slotted spoon, strain one cup of vegetables and set aside
- Pour all that is remaining in the saucepan into a blender and puree (alternatively, use a stick blender).
- Place flour into a bowl and gradually add cream, a little at a time, stirring until smooth
- Return pureed vegetable mixture to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Whisk in cream mixture continuously for 4 minutes until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheeses and reserved chopped vegetables and serve immediately.
This tasty soup was created in collaboration with Deadly Choices, a preventative health organisation that aims to empower Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to make healthy choices for themselves and their families. Don’t let the broccoli fool you, this creamy, cheesy soup is bound to be a hit with kids and adults alike.
- Blending up veggies is an easy way to add up to your 5 serves of veggies across the day.
- Add dried herbs like Italian herbs or oregano for additional flavour.
- This recipe is great in winter and when short on time.